Friday, May 8, 2009

attention, salute, pled.......wait, what?

last night at my sister's senior night something hit me.

the colors came in, brought by the JROTC, and we pledged. afterwards they proceeded out and we sat down. this simple act got me thinking. why do we do it? i know it shows patriotism, allegience, etc. but the simple fact that we are vowing an oath to a flag....it just seems kind of odd to me. dont get me wrong, i love this country. i am so blessed to be here, and i would consider myself as a patriotic person, but how can we go about swearing allegience to a nonexisting thing, more of an idea, and not be that way to the Lord? some, i will say, pledge half heartedly, not really felt, while others have full allegience and consider it honor to recognize something like our great nation. i guess that is like the luke-warm attitudes that the Lord talks about in scripture. it's either all or nothing, there is no in between....

where does our allegience lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment