Sunday, December 4, 2011

take a look.


Prompt: What books did you read?

C.S. Lewis said, "Eating and reading are two pleasure that combine admirably." now honestly i can say that i have definitely eaten more than i have read, but the books that i have read have been quite wonderful to say the least. now if you know me, i am not one of the biggest readers in the world. i wish i was. i wish i were the one who has read over a hundred books during the year. but thats not me. but what i have learned from the books i have read will always stick with me.

Radical by David Platt
my church did an entire study on this book and can i tell you how changed i was because of it. i learned my lesson in true believing and in the way that i treat the world around me. taking every opportunity as an opportunity for ministry is key in our relationship with the Lord.

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
i read this book this summer with some friends of mine on CK7. it officially turned into "CK Storytime" which ended up being a highlight of our weekends. while reading this book, i was reminded of my imagination. how books like this can stretch us to think of things beyond our wildest dreams. i know in reality that this book on gods (yes, with a little 'g') is all but fiction, but it reminded me of how much of a child at heart that i need to be. let those imaginations flow. God did. He made us didn't he?

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” -C.S. Lewis

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
now before i go into this one, i just want you all to know that i am still reading this book. not because it's long or anything, but simply because Lewis is one deep dude. i have found myself reading, rereading, and rereading again certain passages through this book. it is that profound. Lewis was a literary genius and a sound believer. he would definitely be on my list of people to meet that have now passed away.

This is one of my favorite passages of the book...
now on to the book...
lewis view of christianity is simple. now i know that i said i had to reread all these passages, but its different. its so simple that its too deep. i know that it sounds like that statement contradicts itself, but you just need to read it yourself. in the middle of a war torn society of great britain, lewis attempts to find shelter for himself and for others in the arms of a loving savior. denominational doctrine is put to shame as lewis shares deeply the root of all true faith: Jesus Christ. i can't help but say that this is my favorite selection this past year. one that i am determined to finish by the years end.

BOOKS SOON TO BE READ:
The remainder of the Percy Jackson Series
Erasing Hell by Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hole in the Gospel by Richard Stearns
Louder Than Words by Andy Stanley

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete