Wednesday, December 7, 2011

highly prized.

Prompt: Who was important to you? What do you hope to remember?

Well this one is going to be a hard one because honestly there are too many people in my life that have been important to me and so many memories that I would like to keep fresh on my mind this past year. So, I will attempt to put them together.

My family has been important to me. Through all of life’s circumstances I know and can find rest in the fact that I have a loving and supportive family—a luxury that some people lack. Specifically, this past year when I struggled through relationships my brother and sisters were there to encourage me. When I attempted my trek through Spain, my brother helped me navigate the underground and streets of some of Spain’s more populated areas alone. I also struggled this past year on what I should do regarding a job. My parents gave me pointers and prayed with me through this tough decision. But even in the simplicity of life they have proven to be important to me as well. The moments that I spent laughing with all of them around a table playing games in the mountains of Georgia will be cherished forever. I got to watch the Iron Bowl domination with my family this year as well. A day full of “Roll Tide” and football food will always be remembered. I cant help but think how blessed I am to have the 7 of them in my life. Its one blessing after another and I know there is more to come.

Landon Young has been important to me. I started mentoring/discipling Landon a little over a year ago, and I can remember the exact moment when he asked me to walk along side him and encourage him in his faith. When I started attending Country Woods Baptist Church in August of 2010, I knew that the Lord needed me to serve there. Part of the reasons why is because He started allowing me to be involved in areas that I never thought possible. I was voted on to the Youth Leadership council before I was even a member of the church. God was doing some neat stuff in my life and I was just glad that I was along for the ride. Well during this time it was laid on my heart that I needed to be discipling someone in the youth group. I didn't know what that was going to look like, or who it was going to be, but I definitely trusted the Lord in this. Well a few weeks after this had been placed on my heart I get a text message from a little boy named Landon Young. He didn't really want to talk about much, but rather he asked me a very simple question. He asked, "Will you be my mentor?" My first reaction was "who is this kid", and then a shear horror/fear came over me. A kid I didn't know all that well wanted me to mentor and disciple him. Come to think about it, I don't know what this kid was thinking, but one thing I do know now, is that God definitely knew what He was thinking. I agreed to mentor him and truthfully my life has not been the same. Landon and I have grown so close together and I have gotten to watch him grow up to be an amazing young man. But why is he so important to me? First of all, he is the little brother I've never had and he continually keeps me on track. There is no way on earth that I can disciple him if I am not in a position to learn from the Father myself. He encourages me tremendously and the level of respect this kid has is overwhelming. So thank you Landon for being you. I love ya brother!! Some of the most memorable times that we have had: eating hotdogs at Traceway Park, memorizing James 1 together, and staying up late to win a prized empty milk jug in a game of Kemps.

Matt Mahaffey has been important to me. Matt has grown to be my best friend here in Mississippi. Matt and I have one of the most awkward relationships ever, but that is what makes it so special. He is always encouraging and always willing to go out of his way to pour into my life. It has been good seeing him grow over the past year too. I remember specifically after this summer when he came back from Canada and I came back from camp that I saw an amazing change in his life. It’s like the Lord completely changed his perspective on the gospel and radically changed his confidence in the Lord. It’s so neat to see that in people’s lives, especially ones that have a solid place in your heart. Some of the most memorable times I’ve had with Matt: the numerous skits we made a fool of ourselves in on Wednesday nights, wrestling in the sanctuary, praying to the point of tears on numerous occasions, and yelling at a baseball player with the number 33. Can’t wait to spend another year with this guy!!

And last, but certainly not least, Laura has been important to me. The past year with this girl has truly been one amazing ride. There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss her more than the day before, and I wait in eager anticipation till the next time that I get to be with her. I am completely overwhelmed by the fact that she continually chooses someone like me when she deserves so much better. She will deny that last statement, but it’s so true. She is so encouraging to me. She is continually my number one fan. She is always cheering me on and loves to hear about my day; and even if it doesn’t seem to be all that exciting she will some how make it more interesting than it was. She makes me stretch my own ability to learn and grow. She is encouraging spiritually and is always willing to pray for me. What I would do with out this girl? I dunno. And I don’t want to think about that idea. I can not wait to see where this road will take us this next year, but I’m definitely looking forward to the million miles we have left to go. Things I want to remember about Laura and I this past year: driving 8 hours to take her on a date, smashing cupcakes in her face (and getting a face full myself), adopting baby dinosaurs, walking the trails behind the intramural fields at UGA, taking pictures of that pretty girl in a field of weeds, being interrupted by garbage duty, listening to her talk about her summer, worshipping in the car on the 5 hour drive back to Athens from Alabama, working a DNOW in Brewton, AL, staring at the fox in the corner, making soup for friends and fellowship, dancing in the kitchen, and being asked on a continual basis when Laura is coming back to Jackson. Soon people. Very soon.


These people are not all the people that have been important to me, nor do these memories encompass all that I would like to remember. If I were to list all the people (CK7, FBC Brewton, Noah, HCS kids/staff, Mrs. Browning—she’s my favorite teacher, CWBC youth/family, etc.) and memories from this past year, I suppose that I would have to write a library full of books to capture the beauty of friendship and experience.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Better than you? I don't think that man exists. I love keeping up with your life and your growth. Oh, and will you mentor ME next?
    Love you!
    Cathy B from FBC McD

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete